Sunday 15 November 2015

Testing out my Hybrid Makeup 1

I first wanted to try and create texture to the skin without using any prosthetics so I decided to use a sponge and later different shades of grey. I decided to use Aqua colour because it dries quickly to a matte finish, meaning it wouldn't smudge when I added different layers. This would give a matte finish, but I would rectify that with some shiny products later. 

Step by step:
1. I first prepped the skin by cleansing, toning and moisturising to make sure the skin was clean before adding product.
2. I then used a fluffy brush to stipple on a layer of grey Aqua colour. I mixed black and white to achieve the right grey colour. I made sure to do the ears and neck.
3. I then took an orange sponge and pressed on a slightly darker grey colour. I kept mixing the black and white colours together so that all the dark colours weren't the same.
4. I mixed a darker grey colour together and bounced it on the face with the same orange sponge to any areas I wanted to contour. I applied it under the cheekbones, along the forehead and down each side of the nose.
5. I filled in the eyebrows with a black eye shadow and a small angles brush.
6. I added a light coat of mascara to the top and bottom eyelashes.
7. I used a mixture of white and black supra colour, making it about the same colour as the contour, and outlined her lips with a small angled brush. I filled her lips in slightly to start shading.
8. I mixed a lighter shade of grey for the centre of the lips and faded in out into the darker grey to create an ombré look.
9. I added some black pencil in the waterline to give her eyes more definition and to make them look more striking.
10. I applied some Mac shine mixing medium on the tops of the cheekbones, centre of the forehead, down the nose, on the chin and on the Cupid's bow.
11. I mixed some hand soap and water together and waved my hand in the bowl to create bubbles. 
12. I applied this to the mouth and down the left side with my fingers to make it look like her mouth was producing bubbles.

I held up the prosthetic tentacles to the face just to get a rough idea of what they would look like, but I didn't have enough hands to hold up all of them so I only did this with the top two. I would obviously colour the tentacles the same as the rest of the face and blend the piece into the skin. 

I don't think the texture created with the sponge reflects what a snail's skin texture is like and I think it looks very messy. I found it difficult to blend the Aqua colour after it had dried so I think the contour looks too heavy and not well blended. If I were to do this look again, I would use a smaller sponge when contouring the face for more precision, especially around the nose! When I applied the Mac mixing medium it made the Aqua colour go a weird dark yellow colours which I didn't like! I wanted these areas to be brightened not made darker. I don't think the same thing would happen if I applied this mixing medium over supra colour. Another thing I didn't like about this look was that the face look very flat because it was so matte. I would like to experiment with using supra colour as it would give a glossier finish. I like the eyebrows but they could be slightly less harsh, so I may add a bit of grey eye shadow to make it softer. I really like the lips because they add a glamorous feel to the look. I will take all this on board and apply it to my next attempt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment