Thursday 19 November 2015

Evaluating my Practice Hybrid Assessment

I did a practice for my assessment because I hadn't done the whole look before, with the tentacles and styling included and I wanted to see what it would look like in the studio under the camera flash. The final look shown below and there are definitely some things that I think need to be improved on for my final shoot! 

MakeUp
Above are the head shots of my look. I like how glowy and dewy the skin looks, however I think I could make the face look even more shiny to match the very slimy looking chest. I think I should make the contouring darker to balance out the very dark tentacles and also to add more dimension to the face, as is looks slightly flat. I may also contour her nose slightly to add some dimension to the face. I could also make the lips slightly darker to make them look more defined and to balance out the darker tentacles. I need to make sure that all her skin is evenly covered with the grey supra colour because I want it to look very flawless and not patchy, especially around the eyes and lips. I need to take more time over covering the ears completely, as you can still see some skin colour poking through. I like that the eyebrows are very light because it gives them definition without them being too over powering; however it may be effective to block out the eyebrows as it would give a more creature-like effect and would be more accurate to the snail's characteristics. I don't like the mascara on the eyelashes because I think it draws too much attention to the eyes, when they are supposed to not be working. I may have the model close her eyes in the final shoot to make it clear that her human eyes don't work and to give a smoother effect to the face. I added milky white contacts in her eyes, but they didn't make much difference which I was slightly disappointed by. I won't be including these in the final look as I think the model's eyes will be closed. 

I am not happy with how the tentacles look. They don't look very well blended into the skin and because of their positioning you can't see how long they are or that they are even 3D. I need to change the positioning of the tentacles so that you can see their length and so that they look less like just dots on the face. I found that when I used the alcohol to remove some of the prosthetic, a lot of the pros-aide was left around the tentacles on the skin which made it very sticky and uneven; this made the application of supra colour on top not look as flawless and smooth as I had liked. In my final assessment I need to make sure that I only put the pros-aide exactly where I want the tentacles to be. I also struggled with making the edges of the tentacles smooth because it creased up. I think I need to hold the edges of the prosthetic off the skin, put the body of the tentacles on the skin and then smooth the edges afterwards to make sure there are no wrinkles or lumps left. I think that the tentacles look too short and slightly too wide, so I may re-do the mould; however I am concerned that they will not stand up straight. I also want to paint the two black tentacles black as they are very black on the snail. 

Hair

I am happy with the colouring of the shells because they really stand out and look bright. I think it would be effective if I added more crushed up shells on the hair and also added pieces that were even smaller because I think they look too neatly placed and staged as they are all the same size. I like how smooth the front of the hair looks, however I think I could add more gel in the back of her hair to make it look more sleek and slimy, as it looks slightly fluffy in these images which is not the look I want. I want the hair to look more shell-like so I may use a bald cap to give the head a very smooth look, just like a shell. I will then either paint the bald cap in swirls to mimic my chosen polymita picta snail or I will cover the bad cap in crushed up shells (as seen in the images above). 


Body

The body of this hybrid is the part I am least happy with. I don't like how the slime mixture has taken off a lot of the grey supra colour, meaning that her skin colour shows through because it looks very messy. When I was initially designing the snail, I had invisioned her to have very thick and gloopy slime dripping down her chest, however this is not accurate to the snail. Snails leave their slime behind, but their bodies just look almost wet and smooth. I therefore won't use the gel and shampoo combination again because the gel looks too clumpy. I will think of using something more smooth and glossy that does not remove the grey supra colour. I am also not sure about the use of foam because it also strips off the grey supra colour. I think the foam makes the look too fussy, with the slimy skin and grey tentacles so I may decide to just leave it out. I want this snail hybrid to look very glossy and beautiful and I think the foam adds too much fuss to the look and takes away from the simplicity of it. I am really happy with the green bandeau I made out of leaves because it covers up the model well, but also may be something that my hybrid would have made in the cuban forest. I will cover the model's body in grey supra colour down her arms and on her stomach, however I didn't want to waste product in my practice so I haven't done this here.

No comments:

Post a Comment