Saturday 14 November 2015

Snail Hybrid Styling

Design 1 - Chosen Design
NIGATU, H., 2013. 27 Stunning Works Of Art You Won't Believe Aren't Photographs [14 November 2015]. Available from:  http://www.buzzfeed.com/hnigatu/works-of-art-you-wont-believe-arent-photographs#.soMlYW4qd

For my first design I was inspired by the image above, which is actually a drawing of what looks like slime or water falling down her face. This inspired me to just style my model in slime and to have it dripping down her body. I don't think clothes would look very effective underneath because the slime I will use will be quite transparent. I therefore would want my model to be naked, but with her nipples covered as snails do not have nipples. I would want the slime to be coming from behind her shoulders so it didn't just looked like it randomly started. I would want the slime mixture to be runny enough to drip down her, but solid enough so that it would set in place as it dripped and not just completely run off her. I think this design would be the most effective because it wouldn't draw too much attention away from the makeup or hair, but it is still accurate to a snail and interesting to look at.

Design 2
LIVINGLY, 2009. Ralph Lauren - New York Fall 2009 [14 November 2015]. Available from: http://www.livingly.com/runway/Ralph+Lauren/New+York+Fashion+Week+Fall+2009/5GIoo1ZwoPM

The dress above inspired me to maybe include clothing in my look. I don't want my hybrid to be wearing very ordinary clothes because she will be living in a rain forest; however I really liked the shiny, silver, almost wet look material which I think represent the slime of a snail. I didn't want the clothing to over power the makeup and hair so I decided it would be best to use this same material, but just in a bandeau top. I would like to use black to tie in the black tentacles. Even though this bandeau is very small, I still think the very shiny material might draw too much focus away from the makeup. 


LAGAZETTEDUMAUVAISGOUT, 2012. La Gazette du Mauvais Gout [14 November 2015]. Available from:  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/541065342707897468/
Design 3
MCMANUS, C., 2012. Fashion/Art/Music: Stars of 2012 (SuperSuper! Vol 2 #003).
In: Cheap Hype. 10 March 2012 [14 November 2015]. Available from:
https://charlottemcmanus.wordpress.com/2012/03/10/fashionartmusic-stars-of-2012-supersuper-vol-2-003/



I was so excited and inspired when I saw the images above of garments being made out of slime! I don't think my model will be comfortable with being naked, however I didn't want her to be wearing just normal human clothing, as I thought it would ruin the almost alien affect I was creating with the rest of the styling, so to make clothing out of slime would work perfectly! I will want to use black or dark grey slime because my chosen snail's body is all grey. I am not sure what products would work best with this design so I will have to do my research. Both my ideas are very similar, however just with a different neckline. I was inspired to do the second neckline because the slime going down a snail looks very central, but I think the high neckline may look too fussy. In fact, I think these ideas may look too fussy with the hair and makeup, so I think I will try and keep the body very subtle.

No comments:

Post a Comment