Wednesday 11 November 2015

Creating my Mould 2

In my second attempt I made sure that I mixed the two silicones together very well and that I used exactly the same amount of both silicones. I had to re-make some of the clay tentacle shapes because they weren't as smooth as I'd have liked them, however I did re-use some but I made sure that I cleaned them of the silicone fully so it wouldn't interfere with my next mould. I made sure that all my tentacle shapes got smaller as they reached the top to make them easier to remove. The images below show where I have just poured the silicone mixture over my clay sculptures.


This time the silicone took a lot less time to set than last time! It was all set within about an hour. I removed the silicone mould from the tray and plastic and smoothed talc all over it to remove the stickiness. When I started to try to remove the clay I found that it kept breaking off in small pieces instead of all coming out together. I first tried picking it out with a spatular but they were too big, so I ended up scooping all the clay out of my mould with a hair grip. This technique worked well, however it was time consuming and I didn't want to press to hard incase I damaged the mould. I made sure that I cleaned all the clay out of the holes with isopropyl alcohol with cotton buds and I cleaned the rest of the mould with the alcohol too to prep it for creating my piece.


When I mixed together silicone A and B and the Deadener I decided to add less deadener than suggested because the more deadener you add, the more soft and skin-like the piece will become. I put in 20g of both silicones and then only 15g of deadener which is only about 40% when the suggested amount is 50%-60%. I felt like my prosthetic pieces needed to be harder because I didn't want them to break when they came out of the mould and I want them to be able to stand straight on their own, without flopping down from the weight.
I decided to add a tiny bit of black pigment to my silicone piece to make it have a grey tint. I didn't want it to be completely opaque as that would limit my colour options if I decided to change my idea. Below is what my mould looks like with the grey tinted silicone and deadener solution in it.

I am really worried that the silicone pieces aren't going to come out of the mould properly and the tentacles will get stuck or break because of how I had to scoop the clay out. The mould is quite deep and the pieces are very thin, making it more difficult to remove them.


I used a stuff bristled brush and talc to edge my silicone piece out of the mould. I ended up cutting the silicone piece into four pieces so that I could get right around each tentacle so that I can edge them out. I found it difficult to remove each tentacle, but I kept going round it and adding more talc until I could gently pull it out. I am really happy with how they all look and I am excited to start moulding the polymorph plastic to then to give them the eye shape. 


No comments:

Post a Comment