Saturday 14 November 2015

Designing my Hair Charts

I wanted my hair charts to represent the snail's shell. Polymita Picta snails have very brightly coloured, multicoloured shells and the snail I have chosen has very sharp lines of colour spiralling into the middle. It starts off with very neat lines of yellow, outlined with black, and then as it gets closer to the middle, more and more red in added. The body of the snail is all grey and black, which I have reflected in the colouring of my model's face; therefore I wanted to add the colour to her hair. 
ALLPE, 2012. The snail rainbow Polymita picta [7 November 2015]. Available from: 
http://www.medioambiente.org/2012/11/el-caracol-arcoiris-polymita-picta.html
Hair Chart 1
In my first hair chart I wanted the hair to be very stiff and hard to reflect the texture of the snail shell. I decided to scrape the hair off the face using a mixture of gel and water to make it very flat and smooth, to give a clean base for the bun on top. I designed the bun to be twisted so that it would have a similar twisted effect as the snail shell; this would also make it look very smooth and neat. I wanted any sparse hairs to be smoothed with gel or hair spray and I didn't want any hair grips to be showing. Once the gel was dry I wanted to paint on the hair with paints. I'm not sure what paints I would have used so I would have had to do experiments to decide. I decided to use the colours red, black and cream as these are the colours on my chosen snail's shell and I would have done these in similar stripes. 


Hair Chart 2
This hair chart was inspired by when I learned how to do bald caps and we had to wrap the hair round itself to create a very smooth and rounded shape. I thought this rounded shape could represent the shell and I would add lots of gel and hair spray to the hair to make it as flat to the head as possible and to make the texture very had and slightly rough. You achieve this hairstyle by giving the hair a middle parting and then wrapping both sides of the sides to the opposite side and smoothing the ends down with gel. There should be no hair grips used in this hairstyle because I wanted it to be as seamless as possible. I then decided to paint over the hair with red, yellow and black colours, in lines to reflect the sharp lines in the snail's shell. I really like this design because it incorporates the colours and shape of a shell; however I think it is too obvious and not very inventive, so I want to think of something more realistic and fun.

Hair Chart 3 -  Chosen Hair Chart
This is my chosen hair chart because I think it is the most unique and fun hair design. The concept behind this hair design is that when she was born, she was born with a shell covering her scalp; however when she grew up her human hair started to come through, making the shell crack and break off. I want there to be shell dotted around her scalp and under her hair, with her hair then coming through all slimy and wet looking; I will use a wet look gel to achieve this look. To create the broken shell I will find some sea shells or other animal shells to break up and I will then paint then in the twisted pattern of my chosen Polymita Picta's shell. I really like this hairstyle because of its concept and because it looks like it could have actually happened. My only concern with this hair style is that it may look too fussy with the face as well; however the face and body are going to be very monotone so I think it should work without looking too much. I am really excited to start practising this hair design! 

No comments:

Post a Comment