Saturday 28 November 2015

My Final Human Hybrid - Exam Evaluation


I had only practiced applying a bald cap to someone with very short hair, so I had never had to smooth down and shape long hair to fit underneath the bald cap. I found it difficult at first to get the hair very smooth because I found that whenever I moved it slightly it created knots; however once I continued to apply gel and water to the hair, I soon got the hair as smooth and flat as I wanted. When I was going round the bald cap with acetone, I found that the bald cap was being removed, but there was some excess spirit gum around the edges, so I removed any excess spirit gum with spirit gum remover to create a smooth finish. I only applied the pros aide where I wanted the tentacles to go because last time I applied too much and it was obvious in the final images. I found that I could blend the tentacles into the bald cap very quickly and easily; however I found it harder to blend the bottom two into the skin. I had the most trouble with the left lower tentacle and as you can see, it is not blended in as well as I would have liked. 


Above are my final images and I am so happy with how they came out and how much of an improvement they are from my practice shoot! I really like that I didn't give my model any eye makeup and that my model's eyes are closed in the images because I think the eyes drew too much attention in my practice shoot, whereas I want all the attention to be on the top two tentacles as they are now technically the hybrids eyes. I like that I contoured the face slightly more, especially round the nose, in these images because it gives the face more shape and doesn't look as flat. I did highlight and contour the model's collar bones, however it didn't really show up in the photos, so if I were to do this shoot again then I would intensify that contouring slightly more to balance the chest out with the face. I like how I filled in the eye brows slightly and darkened the lips because keeping those human features saved it from looking too alien-like. I had considered blocking out the eyebrows but I think this would have pushed it too far and lost too much of the human side to the hybrid. I am really happy with how the top two tentacles blend in with the face because they are blended evenly and you cannot see any visible lines. I am not as happy with the blending of the bottom two tentacles because you can see where they join; this is because I struggled to blend these tentacles in with the skin seamlessly which meant that the colouring I put on top didn't blend as easily. If I were to do it again, I would spend even more time blending the tentacles into the skin to give them a more seamless blend onto the skin.

I am so happy with how the bald cap looks with the shells on top! I like how the bald cap has been bended into the skin so seamlessly and how the colouring of he bald cap matches the colouring of the face. I originally wanted the shells to be positioned very close together, however I soon realised that this was going to give too much of a 'swimming cap' look, so I distributed them further apart so they didn't look so uniform. The concept behind the hair design was that when she was first born she had a full shell over her scalp but as she got older her head grew and so the shell cracked open; therefore I thought it would make sense if some pieces of shell had fallen down her face and onto her chest. I really liked how this looked because it looked less perfect and staged and more realistic; it also distributed the bright colouring of the shell around the body, tying in the bright colours. I had originally planned to stick the shells on with pros aide but this did not work because there was so much oil on the skin, so I used liquid latex to stick them on. I found this very time consuming but the effect was definitely worth it!

I am really pleased with the finishing of the skin because the base grey colour is very glossy and shiny and then the oil on top is very thin and slime-like, without stripping any of the grey colouring. I really like how even the grey colouring looks, with no skin colour showing, because it makes it more believable that her skin is actually grey. I am really happy with how the top made out of  leaves looks because it adds detail but without drawing too much attention away from the hybrids face. I had made the top just over a week before the shoot, as I thought I was going to shoot it earlier, and I found that the leaves had started to rot and smell; however I made sure that the fur was brushed off and my model agreed to wear it. I like that the bright green colour had started to darken because I think it if was still very brightly colouring then it would have distracted from the model's face too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment