Tuesday 10 November 2015

Polymorph Plastic

I needed to find a product that I would be able to sculpt easily, shape it around something and for it to stick onto the latex tentacle. I came across a product called Polymorph which seemed to be the perfect product for this!

Polymorph plastic is thermoplastic polymer, meaning with the plastic is heated it becomes soft and easy to mould and it becomes transparent. The Polymorph starts off as small off-white granules and at 62 degrees C it melts into a material that can be moulded into any shape you like. The plastic then slowly hardens as it cools down and becomes an off white colour. You can then paint the plastic in any design you want, or as you melt the the Polymorph you can colour it. The diagram below shows clearly how the Polymorph is melted.

RYAN, V., 2008. Smart Materials - Polymorph Shaping by Hand [10 November 2015]. 
Available from:  http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/poly1.htm
Polymorph plastic can be made into any shape and it can attach to another object, which is why I think this product will be perfect for creating my tentacle eyes. I experimented with the polymorph plastic to see how easily it moulded into shape. I was impressed with how easy the plastic was to mould, however I had to use super glue to stick them together because the plastic had set before I stuck them together. I found that the plastic set quite quickly so I had to to get it into the shape I wanted before it got too hard to mould. I will definitely experiment with shaping this plastic into the shape of snail eyes and attaching them to the tentacles.






Resources:
BLRTRONICS. Polymorph [10 November 2015]. Available from: http://www.polymorphplastic.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment