Saturday 21 November 2015

Testing out the Glowy Skin

I wasn't happy with how my model's skin looked in my practice assessment so I came up with a different mixture of products. I wasn't happy with how the slime I put on top of the supra colour removed lots of the grey colour, showing her skin colour underneath because it looked very messy. I also didn't like that her face was a lot more matte than her body because it didn't flow as one. I wanted to create more of a glossy and shiny finish to the skin, as this is more accurate to the finish of a snail's skin.

I decided to use baby oil for the shine and mix it with the grey supra colour. To intensify the sheen I wanted to create on her skin, I decided to use a shimmer spray in silver. This is used for cooking/baking so it will not be harmful to the skin or if eaten. The images below show my results of this. 

Experiment 1
I first applied an even layer of supra colour to a part of my body. This gave a very slight shine, but nothing like I wanted it.

I applied some oil on top of the supra colour and blended it in with my fingers. I found that this left streak marks so I used a stippling brush afterwards to give it a more even texture. I really like the shine created here because it looks very glossy.

I applied some of the shimmer spray over the top and it gave such a beautiful sheen to the skin. The spray has tiny bit of glitter that make the skin look very shiny but without it looking glittery. 

Experiment 2
I thought it would be quicker to mix the supra colour and the baby oil before applying it to the body. I mixed black and white supra colour together in a pan and then added some baby oil which made a really glossy mixture. I was concerned that the baby oil would make the supra colour less opaque, but I didn't have this problem. I applied it with a stippling brush in circular motions and then stippled it to give it a more even finish. I found that when I stippled the product on it also created, what looked like, tiny pores which I liked as it added texture to the skin. 


I then topped it off by adding the shimmer spray which gave a beautiful glossy finish. 

I am so happy with how this experiment worked out because it is so much quicker than applying them separately and it gives the perfect glossy, almost wet look finish I'm after. I will need to buy some more supra colour so that I have enough to cover the body and face with a generous coat. I much prefer this finish to the slimey one because all the body will be the same texture and it will add a more beautiful and ethereal feel to the look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment