Tuesday 10 November 2015

Creating My Face Charts

Face Chart 1
ALLPE, 2012. The snail rainbow Polymita picta [7 November 2015]. Available from: 
http://www.medioambiente.org/2012/11/el-caracol-arcoiris-polymita-picta.html
Face Chart 1
I was first inspired by the very brightly coloured Polymita Picta snail in the image below because I thought it would be fun to use a combination of fun colours to give my hybrid a more exciting look; however after creating part of a face chart for this idea I realised that it looked slightly child-like and too fake. I want my hybrid to look like it could possibly exist and I think when I started adding lots of bright colours it started to look very cartoon like and unrealistic. However I really like how I used milky white eye contacts for the eyes because I want it to look like her human eyes didn't form properly and she is having to see out of her tentacle eyes. I like the positioning of the tentacles on her forehead and I am really happy with the shape of them as they are very similar to the shape of real tentacles. I didn't want to make the tentacles really long because I thought that they would look too over done and I think that having smaller tentacles would work better with the latex materials I will be working with and will still make a big impact of the face. I thought that I should keep the model's skin her own skin colour and then add the colour on top, however the colour that I did end up adding looked almost like a helmet with the rounded shape. When I was designing my first face chart I wasn't sure what I wanted to do on the rest of the face, but I know that I don't want to leave it bare because it looks too plain and boring. In my next face chart I think I will choose a different snail and add some more snail features to her face.

Face Chart 2
Snail used for Inspiration
ALLPE, 2012. The snail rainbow Polymita picta [7 November 2015]. Available from: 
http://www.medioambiente.org/2012/11/el-caracol-arcoiris-polymita-picta.html

Chosen Face Chart
This is my chosen face chart because I think it looks a lot more realistic, as if it could actually exist, and I added more details around the face to make it all tie in together as one. I decided to choose a couple snail characteristics and combine them with other human aspects. I used some milky white eye contacts to make it look like the human eyes were blind because they hadn't developed properly; this is because snails see out of the tentacles and so I wanted this to be one of the aspects that my human hybrid would adopt. I also added smaller tentacles either side of her nose because snails use them to smell. I will make the bigger tentacles black and then blend them into the grey because my inspiration snail has black tentacles, but I will make the smaller tentacles a slightly darker grey than the rest of the face because my Polymita Picta snail's tentacles are the same colour as the face, but I wanted mine to stand out slightly more. I want to create some texture on the tentacles to give a very subtle bobbly effect; I will either do that with the silicone or I add the texture on top afterwards.

I want the whole face and body to be a grey colour to mimic the grey colouring of the snail. I want to make the skin look slightly textured here too so I will either paint the colour on with a sponge or create the bobbly effect another way, either with prosthetics or colour. Even though snails don't have much definition, if any, to their faces, I still wanted to contour the face slightly to give it some shape and some dimension. I want to add a wet look effect to the points of the face I would usually highlight (tops of cheek bones, down nose, centre of forehead, cupids bow) to add definition but also because I didn't want her whole face to be slimy looking but I did want it to have some slimy aspect to it. I will add some black mascara to the eye lashes to give the eyes a human look and as if she has possibly applied the mascara herself, as woman do today. I will also fill in her eyebrows very slightly with a grey colour, very slightly darker than the rest of her face, to frame the eyes and keep that human aspect alive. I will make the eyebrows look wet to tie in with the shiny areas of her face.

I want to line her lips with a dark grey to make them stand out slightly, to keep the human aspect of the mouth, and then blend it into the middle to create an ombre effect. When snails feel under attack or if they are trying to clean themselves they produce a foam and I want to create this effect coming out of her mouth because this is where we eat our food and where we clean if we feel we have eaten something bad. I am not sure what product to use for this yet, as it will have to be edible, but I want it to be dripping out of her mouth and onto her chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment