Saturday 28 November 2015

Final Project Evaluation

I am so excited by how much I learned in this project. I thought the bite mark was a good introduction to prosthetics as I had never used silicone before, teaching me the importance of combining the ratios of products correctly. Thankfully, I made two silicone moulds, as my first one ripped in half when removing it from the surrounding structure. I found the time scale fast paced, but was happy with how realistic my final result was. 


I decided on doing a snail for my human hybrid because of the contrast between the hard, ridged shell and the soft slimy texture of the snail’s body. My research led me to the Polymita picta snail as it was so colourful and I decided to adapt my human to live in my snail’s natural habitat of the rainforest. Using the mould technique didn’t allow me to include the rounded eye of the tentacles so I had to add them separately with a glue gun afterwards. Also, there was a lot of depth to the mould compared to its small diameter, so I had to use a hair grip to dig out the clay and use a lot of talc to remove the final piece. When I did my practice shoot I wasn’t happy with the results; I therefore reassessed my design to improve things such as using a bald cap, changing the positioning of the tentacles and using a different slime product and I was so happy with the results! 

No comments:

Post a Comment